NOTE: Some situations, such as using copyrighted materials in musical performances and on closed circuit TV and copying materials for the blind or for library archives, have specific requirements under U.S. Copyright Law. Contact your principal, school library media specialist, or principal’s designee for all situations that are not addressed in these guidelines.
WHAT YOU CAN DO (or can do if . . .):
- Show broadcast TV programs (e.g., ABC, PBS, local broadcast stations) as part of face-to-face instruction if the program is directly tied to the curricular objectives and is grade appropriate.
- Use an off-air recording of a broadcast TV program as part of face-to-face instruction ifthe program is directly tied to the curricular objective and is grade appropriate, AND the recording is made under the direct supervision of the principal and/or the principal’s designee, AND (1) the taping was requested by the teacher, (2) the program is only used once with each class, (3) the program is used within 10 consecutive school days after it is recorded, and (4) the recording is erased no later than 45 days after the recording date.
- Show cable channel programs (e.g., CNN) as part of face-to-face instruction if the program is directly tied to the curricular objective and is grade appropriate, AND the teacher has requested and received written permission from the copyright owner to show the program, AND the principal and/or principal’s designee has the permission on file.
- Use off-air recordings of cable TV programs for face-to-face instruction if the program is directly tied to the curricular objectives and is grade appropriate, AND the program is a “Cable in the Classroom” designated program, AND the program is taped and used according to the stipulations identified for that specific program.
WHAT YOU CAN’T DO (or can’t do unless . . .):
- Make/use a copy/recording of a cable TV program without written permission from the copyright owner.
- Show a taped broadcast program not made under the principal’s or principal designee’s supervision.
- Show videos/DVDs on closed circuit TV (CCTV) systems except under the direct supervision of the principal/principal’s designee.